About the Department
Family Ministries seeks to recognise that families are the building blocks of community, the church and society. We believe God created families to nurture warm, meaningful, and loving relationships and discover what it is to love and be loved. In families, children develop beliefs, values, and attitudes, which translate into behavioural patterns that shape their future and the future of their communities.
In line with the world church theme "I Will Go", the primary role of the department is to partner with leaders at every level of the church structure to support families in their church and their local communities by:
- recognising the great diversity of modern families (including singles)
- educating and supporting leaders and families to ensure both home and church are safe environments, especially for children
- training and equipping family life leaders
- enriching marriages
- educating and resourcing parents
- fostering healthy relationships and emotional wellbeing
We solicit your prayers as together we ask God to transform our families for his honour and glory.
Our Department's Objectives
The overall objective of the Family Ministries department is to strengthen families through both seminars and resources that will enable them to grow spiritually and emotionally, and become better equipped to evangelise in their communities. We aim to bring about restoration through relationships and foster a spirit of love and unity amidst diversity, promoting the principles of 1 John 4:7-8,
"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love."
- Supervise the work of the Family Life department
- Organise and conduct events to promote healthy relationships within families
- Provide resources to Family Life Leaders in local churches
- Provide pastors with a programme for premarital counselling
- Supervise the NEC Counselling Service
- Provide training for family life leaders in local churches
- Organise the Family Camp
- Responsible for Keeping the Church Family Safe training
- Safeguarding Policy. The Keeping Our Church Family Safe (KCFS) policy ensures best practices in protecting children and adults at risk. For more information, click here to access the safeguarding policy.
The Counselling Service is available for all members of the North England Conference – both young and old – who would like support with their mental health. Counselling is available face-to-face, online or by telephone. For more information, click here.
- 16th January 2022 (10am – 1pm): Family Life officers training
- 13th February to 19th February 2022: Christian Home and Marriage Week – Broadcast live from Manchester South Church. You can join live on zoom or Youtube.
- 22nd July to 31st July 2022: Family Camp
- 9th to 11th September 2022: Marriage Weekend at the Jurys Inn Hinckley Island Watling Street, Hicnkley, LE10 3JA
- Spiritual Abuse powerpoint
- Family resilient folder
- Family resilient powerpoints
I Will Go with My Family: Family Resilience
The Family Ministries Resource Book is an annual resource organised by the General Conference Family Ministries department with input from the world field to provide family ministries leaders across the divisions, unions, conferences, and local churches with resources for the special emphases weeks and Sabbaths. For more information, click here.
Within this Resource Book, you will find sermon ideas, seminars, children's stories, leadership resources, reprinted articles and book reviews to help facilitate these special days and other programs you may want to implement during the year.
In Appendix A, you will find helpful information that will assist you in implementing family ministries in your local church. This resource also includes Microsoft PowerPoint® presentations of the seminars and handouts. Seminar facilitators are encouraged to personalise the Microsoft PowerPoint® presentations with their personal stories and pictures that reflect the diversity of their various communities. To download a presentation, click here.
- Safeguarding Older People from Abuse and Neglect (Factsheet 78, May 2015): https://www.ageuk.org.uk/search/?q=safe+gurding+older+people+from+abuse
- Abuse and Family Violence; Child Sexual Abuse and Family Violence. Statements from the worldwide Adventist Church website: https://www.adventist.org/?s=abuse+and+family+violence#stq=abuse%20and%20family%20violence&stp=1
- NSPCC publishes a series of separate information leaflets for parents, children and teenagers: www.nspcc.org.uk
- Thirtyone:eight supplies books, DVDs and material to use with children: https://thirtyoneeight.org/
- Kidscape (82 Brook Street, London W1Y 1YG) supplies materials for parents with children and kits in schools: https://www.kidscape.org.uk/
- Department for Education. Responsible for education and children's services in England and has some useful links to safeguarding documents to guide professionals: https://www.gov.uk/search?q=safeguarding
- Family Ministries Facebook Account: https://www.facebook.com/North-England-Conference-Family-Ministries-530384454148846
- Childline: 0800 1111
- Samaritans: 116 123
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000
- Children 1st Helpline: 08000 28 22 33
- Thirtyone:eight: 0303 003 1111
- Women's Aid: 0808 2000 247
- ManKind Initiative: 01823 334 244
- Men's Advice Line: 0808 801 0327
- NEC Counselling Service: 0753 921 1442
- SEC Counselling Service: 0207 723 8050
Helpful Video Links
- Love Dare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3Z4sp92us
- Dating/Pre-marital – Dating Around: https://family.adventist.org/people/couples/dating-pre-marital-videos/#DatingAround
- Dating/Premarital – Premarital Counselling: https://family.adventist.org/people/couples/dating-pre-marital-videos/#PremaritalCounseling
- Dating/Premarital – Dating After Divorce: https://family.adventist.org/people/couples/dating-pre-marital-videos/#DatingAfterDivorce
- Learning to Relish Life With Your Spouse: https://www.focusonthefamily.com/episodes/broadcast/learning-to-relish-life-with-your-spouse/
- How To Love Well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AonzHLgpB-M
- Learning To Love For The Long Haul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbyjg0u6ZE
- The Illusion of Love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_imv--RuG4
- Healthy Family Relationships - Sexuality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmKvZCaYsaQ
- Sunday (Pr John Francis): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IF7SOlrrq0
- Monday (Dr Willie and Elaine Oliver): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6OsyEg8Gng
- Tuesday (Dr Beatrice Kastrati): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX8m1zwzY8A
- Wednesday (Pastor Cyril Sweeney): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl3fEnZm3D4
- Thursday (Karen Holford): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsQq22FHEnQ
- Friday (Pastor Micah Campbell): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTzDKL7yJGs
- Sabbath (Elder Hilton Samuel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MtszfzhgEM
Here are several resources from the Christian home & marriage week: