ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Sabbath School is a religious education system within the Adventist Church that seeks to build the faith of Seventh-day Adventist adults, youth, and children. The mission of the North England Conference Sabbath School Department is to nurture and facilitate the spiritual growth of individuals – through education and discipleship – as they deepen their relationship with God.
Sabbath School is the heart of the Church, especially those who disciple their members to be followers of Christ. This is achieved through interactive teaching, training, and mentoring, thus equipping each person to go out then and make disciples of Christ for themselves. This mission incorporates the General Conference vision and mission "I Will Go, Reach My World," which, when carried out effectively, fulfils the Great Commission of Matthew 28:19-20 given by Jesus to,
Go… Teach… and make Disciples…
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you…"
OUR DEPARTMENT'S OBJECTIVES
- Make Disciples: To help cultivate effective Sabbath Schools across the NEC that foster discipleship.
- Train: To train Sabbath School leaders and teachers to effectively plan and deliver the Sabbath School curriculum in their local Church. Additionally, to train Sabbath School members in carrying out the mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Engage: To encourage and engage Sabbath School members in daily Bible study and prayer to deepen their relationship with God.
- Enrich: To foster and enrich authentic unity, community and fellowship among Sabbath School members.
- Empower: To empower and encourage Sabbath School leaders, teachers, and classes to take the initiative in communicating the three angels' messages within their sphere of influence.
To achieve these objectives within local churches, the Sabbath School time each week should be comprised of 3 main core value components that involve reaching up, reaching in, and reaching out:
- Reach Up (To God): Bible study & prayer
- Reach In (To self and each other): Fellowship
- Reach Out (To the community and the world): Mission
Reach Up: Bible study & prayer
The foundation of Sabbath School is the study of God's Word. The Word is what gives power to Sabbath School. Quality time is given for interactive teaching and Bible study. With a soul-winning mindset, teachers are to cultivate and facilitate an environment for members to dig deep into the Bible for themselves and strengthen their relationship and faith in God.
"Never should the Bible be studied without prayer" (Steps to Christ, p. 91). Personal and intercessory prayer is a significant and integral part of this teaching and learning experience.
Reach In: Fellowship
The format of Sabbath School promotes fellowship. The Sabbath School teaching and study time is where discussion can effectively take place. This is achieved through the use of small group classes intended to facilitate quality interaction, the participation of as many class members as possible, and foster bonding amongst the small groups. To develop and strengthen these bonds, classes are also encouraged to meet together outside of class time for social interaction and group outreach.
A spirit of care and concern should result in classes that minister to those who are inactive or going through difficulties through visitation and reclamation ministries.
Reach Out: Mission
The focus of Sabbath School is the mission of making disciples. In addition, and separate to the teaching and study time, strong emphasis is placed on making disciples. Quality time is given to raise awareness, emphasise and focus on the Church's mission, including world mission updates, local outreach reports and personal ministries training.
Sabbath Schools worldwide show their sacrificial nature by giving financially to support world mission projects.
When these 3 core objectives are prayerfully and effectively incorporated, Sabbath School within the local church will be a vibrant and an ALIVE experience! For more information, click on the following link: https://alive.adventist.org
The Sabbath School Department is a 50% budget. The current Director, Pastor Gina Miller, ministers in a local church with the remaining 50% of her time. Her role in the Department includes but is not limited to:
- The administration and facilitation of the worldwide Sabbath School education system across the North England Conference.
- Provide high-quality training and resources for Sabbath School leaders and teachers that will enhance the spiritual growth of our members.
- Provide leadership and serve as a consultant to local churches in developing their Sabbath School program and how the content is delivered/presented.
- The promotion and emphasis of mission and mission offerings.
- The promotion of fellowship and coordination between Sabbath School leaders, members and the community.
- Church Officer's Training (Online): January 15th from 10am to 2pm
- Level 1 (Part 1) Sabbath School Teacher's Training (Online): March 26th from 10am to 2pm
- Level 1 (Part 2) Sabbath School Teacher's Training (Online): April 2nd from 10am to 2pm
- Level 2 Sabbath School Teacher's Training (Online): June 25th from 10am to 2pm
- Sabbath School Online Surgery: July 16th from 10am to 12pm
- Sabbath School Conference/Day of Fellowship: September 22nd - 24th. More details coming soon
Sabbath School Study Guides
- Beginner (Ages: 0-2): https://www.gracelink.net/beginner
- Kindergarten (Ages: 3-4): https://www.gracelink.net/kindergarten
- Primary (Ages 5-9): https://www.gracelink.net/primary
- Junior PowerPoints (Ages 10-14): https://www.juniorpowerpoints.org/
- Real Time Faith (Ages 13-14): https://www.realtimefaith.net/
- Cornerstone Connections (Ages 15-18): https://www.cornerstoneconnections.net/
- InVerse Bible Study Guide (Ages 18-35): https://www.inversebible.org/
- Adults: https://absg.adventist.org/
- Adult Audio Study Guide: https://nadadultministries.org/mediacenter
Adult Audio/Video Study Guides
Sabbath School Apps
- Google Play (Android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cryart.sabbathschool&hl=en_GB&gl=US&pli=1
- App Store (Apple): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sabbath-school/id895272167
There are a range of resources and training materials made available by the Sabbath School Department, which are designed to further equip and enhance the skills, knowledge and understanding of all involved or participating in Sabbath school, whether you are part of your local Church Sabbath School team, a church member or a visitor.
SS Superintendent / SS Secretary / SS Class Teacher
If you are the Sabbath School Superintendent, the Sabbath School Secretary or a Sabbath School class Teacher of your local Church, click here for more resources.
New Church Member
If you are a Member of the Church and want to deepen your study of the Bible and spiritual life, click here for more resources.
If you are a visitor to this site and the Seventh-day Adventist Church and want to learn more, click here for more resources.