About the department
"To have perfect health, our hearts must be filled with love, hope, and joy in the Lord" (RH April 9, 1901, par. 11).
NEC Health Ministries aims to provide education, resources and activities which reflect a holistic approach to one's well-being. Holistic health and wholeness comprise physical health, mental health and spiritual health. Based on biblical principles, health ministry emphasises the role of lifestyle in promoting health, happiness, and enhanced spirituality.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church has undoubtedly been among the first Christian denominations to promote a healthy diet, abstinence from nicotine, alcohol and other drugs, and exercise. In this respect, the church has successfully developed and implemented health education programmes across the globe. The core principles of all programmes are the prevention of disease and relief of suffering through simple lifestyle habits that correspond with the way God created us to live. At the same time, acknowledge the effectiveness of evidence-based therapy when a disease has already occurred.
Health Ministries is a dynamic, vibrant and exciting work, with health education programmes advancing hand in hand with scientific advancements and evidence-based medicine. E.G. White, a co-founder of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, wrote, "The health reform is an important part of the third angel's message; and as a people professing this reform, we should not retrograde, but make continual advancement) (Counsels on Health, p.49).
The Health Ministries department has a special duty of care towards people with health conditions or impairments. Empowerment and inclusivity are top priorities in this respect. The Bible prompts us to imitate God's love. Therefore, our programmes aim for accessibility to all.
Our department's objectives
The Commonwealth Games, often called the Friendly Games, is an international multi-sport event involving the Commonwealth of Nations athletes. The Commonwealth Games coincide with the year of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, which will be celebrated throughout the year, making the games an extraordinary event. The Health Ministries Department will use this unique opportunity to mobilise all church members in the area around the game venues to come together in outreach. In collaboration with ADRA UK, the Platinum Jubilee will be celebrated throughout the year - the Commonwealth Games Health outreach project will be the direct continuation of the ADRA Jubilee project. Both projects run under the Health Ministries Banner CELEBRATIONS and seek to engage the church membership for outreach in their communities to celebrate health, sports, and the joy of uniting in a shared and global initiative.
- Build new and strengthen existing relationships with our neighbours, friends and family members in creative and innovative ways.
- To emphasise the Adventist presence in Birmingham and make the Adventist Health Message more widely recognised.
Alongside the active Health Expo outreach activities, an online campaign will take place on its own website, commonwealthhealth.co.uk.
Here, events will be featured, videos and social media content shown, the Health Message emphasised in various articles, and a calendar of events of all aftercare and follow-up programmes held throughout the following year in the different Birmingham churches.
The long-term vision for the online campaign is to create a brand "Commonwealth Health" that reaches around the globe and encompasses all Seventh-day Adventist Health Ministries in the various Commonwealth countries. We will feature their programmes, make resources available, and share the global experience of the Adventist Health Message.
The importance of the Adventist Health Message in terms of stewardship of our planet, stewardship of our physical and mental health, with spiritual health at the heart of the message, will be promoted with a lasting legacy that reaches far beyond the actual Commonwealth Games.
Read the article about the wonderful things that took place – https://nec.adventist.uk/news/article/go/2022-08-23/together-for-commonwealth-health/
Physical Health Goals
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your bodies (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
- Educate church members about a healthy lifestyle with the available health and mental health programmes; this entails physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being.
- Build trust in the scientific advancements of medicine, and build knowledge about the prevention of disease, preventive medical check-ups, and vaccinations.
Mental Health Goals
Values: Respect, Kindness, Inclusivity, Scripture foundation
Foundation in Scripture:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- Provide information about available resources and how to be an open and welcoming community for all people with mental health problems.
Health Hubs - Our Vision
Go, stand in the temple courts,' he said, 'and tell the people all about this new life. (Acts 5:20)
- Create at least one health hub in every area where a church cooperates with the local public health authorities and the NHS to engage in the community with regular health education programmes and delivery of services.
- Encourage Health hubs to become self-sufficient, permanently featuring many different health ministry projects, such as community gardens, organic grocery stores, cafes, cooking classes, exercise classes, AA meetings, and self-help groups.
- Health Hubs and their attached churches will be fully accessible to all disabilities of all ages and meet all needs in terms of physical accessibility as well as accessibility to the hearing impaired, deaf, and visually impaired, and also provide a welcoming and safe space for all spectrums of mental disability.
As Health Ministries Director, my role is to empower churches to practice Health Ministries.
The primary duties are preaching, teaching and praying – all resulting in preaching appointments, special health Sabbaths, Health Expos, Health programmes, Health presentations;
I seek colleagues, doctors, nurses, health professionals, and members who have a passion for health to volunteer, present, and work with me to make Health Ministries great again.